I want to become a better soul winner. How about you? I think many know the primary mission of the church is to reach lost souls with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But, if you are like me, you know how easy it is to become busy with many things and lose opportunities to evangelize. Evangelism is not just the work of a pastor or an ordained minister, or even a staff of select leaders. To truly evangelize any community it takes the collective efforts of the entire church body…every believer!
All of us are called to be a witness. All who have the Spirit of Christ in them have been made a “minister of reconciliation.” We stand in the gap every day between lost souls and eternity. We have the only message that can bridge that gap between a sinner and salvation. What are we doing to BECOME better at reaching others with this saving message of Jesus?
12 WAYS WE CAN BECOME BETTER SOUL WINNERS:
- Ask God to renew your relationship with Him. If we are living in sin, we are powerless to win souls. First, we must repent and repair our relationship with God. Then, He can make us effective again. King David knew he would be ineffective if he didn’t get things right with God. “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me … Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.” (Psalm 51:10, 13)
- Develop the habit of praising God for His blessings. This is an excellent way to guide conversations towards the LORD. Psalm 107:2 says, “Let the redeemed of the LORD say so…” Has God answered prayer for you? Has God blessed you recently? Well, “Say so!”
- Read and study the Word of God regularly. The Bible has every answer anyone needs to come to saving faith in Jesus Christ. How can we lead others into their own salvation experience if we don’t know the Bible? (Consider Philipp and the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts chapter 8). Sincere people are waiting for someone with knowledge to explain to him or her who Jesus really is.
- Consciously try to meet new people. This may sound simplistic, but for many of us this is a challenge. We are often confined to our small social circle of influence. How often during the week do we actually meet a new person, AND have a meaningful conversation with them? In Jesus’ 3-½ year ministry on earth he was constantly meeting new people all the time. Hmm… It’s almost like maybe he was trying to…
- Tell unbelievers you are praying for them. Everyday we probably see dozens, if not hundreds of faces. Do you ever wonder about the personal struggles people are facing, and had genuine concern for people you don’t know? Ask someone if you can pray for him or her, if there is anything specific to pray about. Prayer automatically creates an open connection between God, you, and the person you are trying to win.
- Share the good news of the Gospel on Social Media. I think face-to-face evangelism is best. However, I also think we should utilize every avenue of communication we can to reach the lost. The early church used the vast network of Roman roads and highways (their “technology”) to reach the world with their message. We have virtual “highways” into people’s lives. Let’s use them to spread the good news of Jesus.
- Make a list of people you would like to win. Can you think of ten people you know personally who have never obeyed the plan of salvation? Write their names down. Pray for them. And look for open doors of opportunity to tell them about the church, the Lord, and how to be saved.
- Tell your testimony. All of us who are saved know there was a time when we were not! Who can tell the story of how you came to the LORD, and what He did for you, better than you can? People need to hear what God did in our lives. It sparks hope and faith in other souls that God can help them also. This is much like #2 … Has God saved you? Well, “Say so!”
- Pray and ask God for wisdom to win souls. The Bible tells us two interesting things about wisdom and soul winning. First, “He that winneth souls is wise” (KJV) and “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you” (NLT). God wants us to be soul winners. When we want what God wants, and earnestly seek for it, He will give it to us. Too many souls have been deterred from coming to the Church or listening to a Bible study because of some Christian who lacked wisdom. Let’s wise up and start winning people.
- Don’t get distracted by the sins of others. Christians are often focused on how messed up the world is and become reclusive and “hands off,” when we should be involved and “hands on.” Jesus had a reputation for being with sinners. They were the “sick folk.” They needed Jesus the most. What kind of physician refuses to interact with sick patients?
- Begin to look at others the way that God looks at them. We are all guilty of looking down at sinners and thinking, “Don’t they know how stupid they look?” or shake our head saying, “What a shame…” Maybe they do look stupid, and it is always shameful to live in sin. But underneath that sinful façade there is a person created by God whose life has been pillaged and plundered by the devil. We need eyes of mercy, compassion, and empathy, rather than all judgment, all the time.
- Watch others who are successful soul winners. “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise” (Prov. 13:20). This is what the early disciples did when they followed Jesus. Their discipleship program was a day-to-day seminar on soul winning. Wherever Jesus went, they went…watching, listening, and learning. When it came time for them to go out and win souls, they knew how Jesus talked, how Jesus walked, how Jesus taught, and how Jesus preached. They knew Jesus’ compassion for sinners. They learned how to interact with sinners and win souls because they were with someone who loved winning souls.
I want to become a better soul winner. How about you? What other ways could you recommend?